Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fabulous Flower - Free Crochet Pattern

Fabulous Flower - Free Crochet Pattern

During my years of crocheting, there was something I could never get right - flowers. Every time I made one I did it a different way, partly because I couldn't remember how I did it the time before, and partly because the time before never looked how I wanted it too. I finally got it to come out right so I wrote up the pattern quick before I forgot! :)

This cute flower would be a great addition to many items. Hats, headbands, bags, etc. Or it could become a hair clip or pin. It can be used so many different ways for so many things!

Important Notes:
*You are welcome to sell items made from this pattern, but please do not sell this pattern. I would love it if you linked back here though!
*If you think any corrections should be made to this pattern, please let me know!
*All abbreviations used in patterns are explained here.

Finished Size:
Depend on what size hook and yarn you use. Mine with an I hook and worsted weight yarn turned out to be about 3 in wide, with the top flower being about 1.5 in wide.

Materials:
-Yarn of Choice (I used worseted weight)
-Size hook of choice (I used an I hook)
-Yarn Needle

Pattern:

Pattern Notes:
*Pattern is worked in continuous rounds, do not join at end of round. Place a stitch marker in last stitch of each round.
*Two flowers are made separately and then sewn together.

Bigger Flower:
ch 2 or make magic ring and ch 1
Rnd 1: 5 sc in first ch made or magic loop. (5 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in ea st around. (10 sc)
Rnd 3: *2 sc in first/next st, sc in next st, rpt from * around. (15 sc)
Rnd 4: *[sc, hdc] in first/next st, [2 dc, 1 trc, 2 dc] in next st, [hdc, sl st] in next st, rpt from * around for a total of 5 petals.
Fasten off, weave in tail.

Smaller (Top) Flower:
ch 2 or make magic ring and ch 1
Rnd 1: 5 sc in first ch made or magic loop. (5 sc)
Rnd 2: *[sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sl st] in next st, rpt from * around for a total of 5 petals.
Fasten off, leaving long tail (about 6").

Assembly:
1) Use tail of smaller flower to sew it on to the top of the bigger one. - Line up so points of petals on smaller flower are where two petals come together on the bigger flower, and sew at base of petals on smaller flower.
2) If not sewing flower to another item (hat or something), knot off.
3) If sewing flower to another item, use end to stitch flower to the item, at the base of the petals on bigger flower (sewing under the petals of the smaller flower.) Knot off.
4) Weave in any ends. You're done!

2 comments :

  1. Perfect applique for a cowl I made. Very clear, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pattern helped teach me all my stiches. It was so easy to follow and my flowers are so cute. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete