Thursday, October 7, 2010

Block Party Report #1

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you probably remember when I had the Block Party last spring. (You can read everything about the Block Party here.) I asked knitters and crocheters to make 6 inch squares or blocks for me. We then got together, and sewed the blocks into blankets that we sent over to Ukraine. We ended up with over 300 blocks, which made 8 blankets. We also collected a lot of other things, such as baby hats and slippers to send over to Ukraine. I am planning on doing the Block Party again this year, probably at the end of February. I have already received lots of squares for it! Although it is a very big goal, my goal is to double the number of blocks we receive this year from last year. That means over 614 blocks! WOW! I did the math for last year, and it took me about 25 minutes to make a square, and we had 300 squares, so that's 6000 minutes, plus it probably took longer than 20 minutes for most of the squares. Which means, if we added it all together, it would have taken one person over 5 straight days (24 hour days) to make all of these squares!! Wow! The pictures in this post are all pictures of the wonderful squares and baby hats I've already received for next years Block Party.
Thank you to my Great Aunt Janice and her friend Dorothy for these wonderful blocks! My aunt supplies the yarn, and her friend knits for her.
Look at them all! There are enough here to make a blanket with!

She also made these warm baby hats!
These granny squares are from Ms. Valerie W who helped us last year.

These blocks are from Mrs. Geri E, a wonderful 95 year old lady who gave squares last year too!

I had this typed up for awhile and I was going to wait until we got closer to next years Block Party to post this, but I have add on to it now because I have received more squares and baby hats!

My great aunt's friend Dorothy also made all these knit squares!! There are about 150 here! I can't imagine doing all that knitting!! I hope to make some of these knitted squares into a blanket or two as soon as I catch up on my orders, finish my Christmas presents, and don't have any upcoming Craft Sales. :)

All the different colors

All the warm knitted baby hats!
 Thank you so much to everyone who has given squares and hat so far and who will contribute squares as we get closer to the Block Party!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment