Thursday, June 10, 2010

Frosty the Snowman

Awhile ago, I was looking here at online patterns for things made out of plarn. (If you aren't familiar with it, plarn is plastic bag yarn.) I found a pattern for a snowman made out of plarn. You can find the pattern here. He was so cute, I just had to make him! :-) So I started making some plarn. I used only Wal-mart bags, and other blue and white bags, so the snowman would be white with blue speckles. Once I finished the snowman, I made his scarf. In the pattern, the scarf was supposed to be knitted, but since the snowman is a fair project, and I was entering him in crocheting, I figured I better not make a knitted scarf. So I made up a pattern for a a little scarf. Then I made the hat. Since I could not figure out the pattern for the hat, and the hat wasn't turning out right, I made up my own pattern for a hat. I have made lots of baby hats, and his head wasn't much smaller than a newborn baby's, it wasn't hard to make up a pattern for the hat. Then I added a pom pom to the top of the hat. I named him Frosty. :-) He took a long time to make, but he is worth it because he is so cute. I haven't found any googly eyes yet, (I'm surprised my sister doesn't have any) and I haven't figured what I am going to do for the carrot nose, so he doesn't have a face yet. But, I'll post pictures of him with a face when I finish his face. :-) I probably used about 100 bags, and he's stuffed with the handles and the bottom of the bags (and all the pieces that broke).


Frosty the Snowman
Frosty without his hat and scarf

5 comments :

  1. I just spent Ruby's naptime learning about plarn! How cool is that!

    And what a cute snowman - Braden would go crazy for that, he loves holiday decorations! Way cute, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute and cool. I was looking at a pattern for a bunny that looks like its made like that. Was that really hard,easy or in the middle?? Well thats really really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and for the nose you could use orange clay or playdoh I think. In like 2 or 3 grade we made snow men and we used clay or playdoh I believe. It was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Z - I love plarn!! Its a great way to recycle and its cool how is looks and feels when you are done with your project. Thanks! I had fun making it!

    Packerfreak7 - That would be fun to make a bunny out of it! I wouldn't say it was easy, it was probbly in the middle, but a little on the harder side. Good idea for the nose, I'll have to try that! I found some googly eyes for the eyes too.

    ReplyDelete